Saturday, August 23, 2014

Carpe Diem #545, Tolerance


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

After our little side-walk to Jim Kacian's wonderful haiku of yesterday it's time again for a new prompt based on Khalil Gibran's "Sand and Foam". Today that prompt is Tolerance or accepting how the other is. All around the globe tolerance has to be strong, but ... that's not true as you all will know. In my opinion we have to tolerate a lot, but not everything ... we don't have to tolerate that groups are killing each other, because of their e.g. different religions or sexuality.

Khalil Gibran says in his "Sand and Foam" the following about tolerance:

[...] " Tolerance is love sick with the sickness of haughtiness". [...]

I had to look for the translation of 'haughtiness', to understand what he says here and I think he said it right. Tolerance is like that. Tolerance is based on haughtiness and that makes it that dangerous as it is. Tolerance is great, but we don't have to tolerate everything.


Melting Snow
melting snow
the tears of a child
crystal truth

© Chèvrefeuille

Not a strong senryu, but I think it's true. Tolerance is great, but we have to 'use' it like children. As we grow older, the child within us dies ... we loose that clear plain innocence ... in which tolerance was 100%. As children we accept all and everything as it is, growing older, and becoming wiser, that acceptation, that tolerance is becoming smaller.

It wasn't easy to write this post, because I am a human being which stands in his life out of an idea of unconditional love for all and everything ... and my tolerance is great, but as I look to the world in which we live ... even my tolerance becomes smaller. I am losing my Inner Child and that makes me sad sometimes.

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until August 27th at noon (CET). I will try to post our new episode, silence, later on.

 

2 comments:

  1. I think that you are wrong. This is the one of your strongest senryu in my opinion. Or is it my interpretation? Anyway, that's what makes it more powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quote on tolerance really made me think.. and your haiku is a great one.. my interpretation might be slightly different..

    ReplyDelete